I had to remove some of the crutches to get to the under side of the fuselage for the first strip. I used a couple of large strips of balsa where they could handle the compound curves, but I had to gradually reduce my strip width down to about 1/4" towards the top.
I also got the fin covered including using some filler balsa at the base near the fuselage joint.
The whole mess looks a bit ugly right now, but that's OK. It will get a good sanding then I will remove it from the remaining crutches and finish the bottom side. At that point the entire fuselage will get a coat of 3/4 oz glass and finishing resin.