Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Fuselage formers

The formers are next.  The first three formers are 7 layer 1/8" plywood.  The remaining formers were made using hard 1/8" balsa.  The patterns were spray glued using 3M spray adhesive and attached to the wood.  Then I used my scroll saw to cut everything out.  Pretty standard.

Next, I had to attach them to the crutch.  I suppose I could have oversized the formers and cut them off the crutch later, but I chose to use a small dab of hot glue at The base of each one.  I can cut through it later with a hit wire for easy removal.  At least that's the plan.  

Of course I used my laser again the ensure everything was nicely lined up.


I then created a backbone using a 1/4" x 1/8" piece of spruce.  I notched each former along the center line and glued on the spine.  I will do the same to the bottom when I remove the partially sheeted fuselage.

And last but not least, I used 1/4" x 1/8" hard balsa to create lateral side spines on the fuselage as well. 



Next, the tail.....

No comments:

Post a Comment