Today I made some good progress. After a nice brisk 34 mile ride on the bike (that make 120 miles this week), I started working on the wings again. I wanted to get the tips and wing joiners done before I started sheeting, so that's what I worked on.
First, the tips. The plans say to use bent bamboo. As luck would have it, I'm fresh out of bamboo. I could have laminated and steam bent some strip spruce, but I wanted more surface area to glue the wing sheeting to, and I want the tips to be a bit more sturdy. So instead of the thin edge, I went with light weight sheet balsa 3/16" thick. In order to get the plan image on the wood, I used the Acetone transfer method, and viola, a perfect reverse image. Stack to pieces of wood together, take it to the bandsaw, and out pops two tips. As you can see in the pic, I also cut slots for the spars.
Also, I created my joiner ribs by cutting out 1/16" ply ribs matching the rib #1 profile then gluing sheet 1/8" balsa to the backsides and sanding to shape. I took those assemblies, marked out the slots for the spars and leading edge, and attached them to the wing pieces.
Then came the joiners. I've decided to go with two 3/16" steel rods with brass receivers. I could have gone with cf rods, but this is what I have on hand and I'm a big believer in keeping momentum going. Will they be strong enough? I think so unless I decide to do ground loops.
I put the brass receivers in the gull side of the wing, 2 bays deep. Then I put the rods in the tips panels also two bays deep. I probably could have gotten away with only one bay, but a little extra strength doesn't hurt the weight too much. First, I measured my hole spacings and used my hand drill to make the holes. The I dry assembled everything to make sure it all lined up. When I was happy with the fit, I built joiner boxes around the rods using hard balsa and 1/64" ply caps and used 60 minute epoxy to hold it all together. I kept the wings joined together with clamps to ensure that the rods and receivers stay lined up. Since the receivers aren't attached yet, I can still tweak those a bit, but I like doing my wing joiners this way to ensure the best joint possible.
Tomorrow night, the other wing!