Friday, November 5, 2010

The other joiners

Finally finished up the other joiners yesterday.  I had a bit of a scare last night.

When I assemble all of these joiner boxes, I always do it with the wings connected and lined up to make sure it's all straight and true.  Well, before I went to bed last night, I checked on the joint thinking it would be safe to pull it apart.  Luckily for me, the drying time of the epoxy has been extended due to the cooler temps in my workshop.  Some of the epoxy had seeped around the backside of one of the receiver tubes and was trying to glue the connector rod in place!  After some careful working and prying, the joint finally loosened up and I was able to get the wing halves apart.

But hey, the joint is straight and true.....  :)

Oh yes, I'm also still thinking about my e-glider options.  I 'forgot' that I already have a perfectly good subject sitting off in the corner of my workshop.  After busting up my rudder earlier in the year on my e-Allegro Lite, I forgot all about it.  I think maybe it's time to dig it back out and fixer up.  This is a fine glider that had some quirky flying characteristics that I need to work out (hence the busted rudder), but she will make a good ALES platform for next year.  Last year I built a balsa rolled boom fuselage for her, and it is as stiff and light as any CF boom I've used.  It's not pretty - it was an experiment - but it sure is functional.

No comments:

Post a Comment