Wednesday, October 16, 2013

She has a heart!

Got the motor mounted last night.  It's an old Electrifly Ammo with a gear box on it that came out of an old foamie Great Planes F6F Hellcat warbird.  I think they were also used in the Corsairs of the same make.  Not sure if it the perfect motor for this plane, but weight wise both planes are similar and this combination on a 3s battery pulled the Hellcat around the skies like it was on rails.  I should have plenty of power with this little thing, and there is still more than enough room for a 2500 3s battery.  Besides, I had it sitting around and free is always good.

As you can see, I mounted the firewall then cut carbon fiber standoffs so I could set the down and side thrust.  Worked out perfectly.


2 comments:

  1. Nice fuse! Do you think you'll need to compensate for the motor weight? I've found that many of these electrics don't need as much tail weight compensation since the electric hardware is getting smaller, lighter and more powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, but I have lots of room to move he battery for and aft, so I'm not too worried about it right now. Thanks for stopping in Aaron.

      Delete